Thursday, September 12, 2013

Firefighters: Pre-K and Family Storytime

Firefighters:
 
Pre-K                    
43 kids
5 siblings
32 adults
 
  
The kids are always so good at guessing the theme!
 
Books:
 
Fire Fighter PiggyWiggy by Christyan Fox.  A young pig imagines what it would be like to be a fearless fire fighter who slides down a pole, drives a fire engine, and saves someone from danger.
 
Fire Truck by Ivan Ultz.  This is a "Sing and Read" book published by scholastic.  We watched a projected version of it.  I love that by the time we get about half way through all the kids are singing along.  YouTube link
 
 
"Flannel" (I used clip art today):
 
Who uses this?  Police officer or firefighter?  I held up different pictures and the kids called out which side of the board I should put them on:
 

 
Movement:

Five Brave Firefighters
I got this idea straight from Read, Rhyme and Sing's blog Check out her craft.  It's really fun!!!

5 brave firefighters waiting by the pole
Ring, ring, ring goes the bell (I rang the bells you see on the board)
And down one goes

The kids stood as we did the rhyme and "rang" scarves.  We slid down the pole the normal way - then really fast, really slow, and then while spinning around.
 

Music/Movement:

We sang "Drive the Fire Truck" with scarves (listen to sample here).  It's a short song so we sang it a few times.

Hurry! Hurry! Drive the fire truck X3
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!
Hurry! Hurry! Put the latter up X3
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!
Hurry! Hurry! Put the fire out X3
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!
Hurry! Hurry! Drive the fire truck X3
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!
Whew!
 
Letter of the Day:
I randomly flipped to a page in the book Firefighters A - Z and landed on H:
 
Craft:  The kids made firefighters that I will cut out and glue onto a large piece of poster board.  Then I will paint a verrrry long hose connecting them all.  I will present this card from our kids at Perry to our community firefighters at the Gilbert Fire Station.



 
Some of our finished firefighters:
 
How the card will be assembled:

Family Storytime:

Miss Erica - always dressed for the theme and all ready to do Family Storytime with me tonight:
 
Letter Activity:  I left the crayons and markers out from this morning so the kids can work on this activity if they'd like F for firefighters
 

5 comments:

  1. What a great storytime! I absolutely LOVE your "who uses this?" flannel. Awesome for discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing for the Flannel Friday round up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Firetruck Book/song from Youtube. How did you come across this? It reminds me that for a "Goat" storytime I once found a Youtube video called "How do you Talk to a Little Baby goat?" by Tom T Hall. I used that as one of our songs. One of the little girls in that group loved that video and in subsequent visits to the library always mentioned it, so I would look it up and watch it with her. She still asks and is in 2nd grade now! But it got me to thinking, since you mentioned your group was singing with the Firetruck book, what other fun books are out there like this that we could be using in story times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only know of a couple more like:

      Baby Beluga by Raffi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtGYtlqrWUQ and

      Frank Asch books http://www.frankasch.com/splash.html

      I just posted on PubYac to see if other Librarians have ideas as well. I'll make sure to share if I get responses!

      Delete
  4. High-visibility clothing for heavy construction projects, as an example, plays a crucial role in protecting workers from low invisibility at night. The goal of wearing high-visibility garments is to produce a wearer more visible. Individuals who manage traffic on roads use to wear high visibility clothes to stay clearly visible on roads. guanti vigili del fuoco

    ReplyDelete