Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Wiggle Worms - Apples

I don't usually theme my Wiggle Worms program, but once the "ber"* months are here I can't help but to get seasonal!  We read about apples this week:
 
*In NY, we referred to the "ber" (or burrrr) months as September, October, November, December....
 
Letter of the Day:  Aa for apple
 
Animal / Puppet Song:  "If I Was a Bird" from the Wiggleworms Love You album
 
 
Discussion Flannel:

Apples aren't just red.  They can be yellow and green as well. 

What is left of an apple when you're done eating it?  A core.  This was a new vocabulary word for some of our younger Wiggle Worms.
 
Books: 
 
(Monday's group)
The Apple Pie Tree by Zoe Hall.  I shorten this book quite a bit with toddlers.  It tells the story of an apple tree starting with its bare winter branches (pictured above)
 
(Tuesday's Group)
Ouch! by Ragnhild Scamell

 See my complete Ouch! blog post here.  C'mon, it's a fun book with puppet and props!
 
Flannel / Music / Movement:
 
"5 Green Apples" by Sharon, Lois, and Bram

 
I was thrilled that the parents and kids had so much fun with this song because I don't usually use it with this age group.  Each time we "picked" an apple, I pulled a felt apple off the tree and crumpled it into my hand while eating it so that it disappeared.
 
Listen to a sample here
 
Of course Farmer Brown wanted all the kids to have apples, so we ran around and handed these apple stickers to all the kids
 
 Look at this adorable toddler with her apple sticker:
 
Flannel Rhyme: 
 
(Idea originally from Storytime A,B,C's)
 
I found an apple on the ground
It looked delicious, red, and round
I picked it up and took a nibble
Oh my goodness!  There was a worm in the middle!
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment