Thursday, December 19, 2013

Christmas: Pre-K and Family Storytime

I have accumulated just too many fun Christmas books, flannels, music, and activities over the years!  I found myself agonizing over what to do and what to not do in storytime today.  Here are some of the winners from today's Pre-K and Evening Family Storytime:

Books:


Books I used today:
 
Jingle Jingle by Nicola Smee.  This is becoming one of my favorites!  I (sometimes with co-worker help) ring bells and we all chime in with, "Jingle jingle, Jingle, jingle" each time the text calls for some jingling.  As they go down the hill, we jingle faster and faster and faster and FASTER!
 
Who Will Guide My Sleigh Tonight? by Jerry Pallotta. Santa Claus has a big job to do and he tries out lots of animals until he discovers reindeer!
 
Dinosaur Christmas by Jerry Pallotta. Santa Claus reminisces about "the good old days" when dinosaurs pulled his sleigh.
 
Bear Stays up For Christmas by Karma Wilson. Bear's friends are determined to keep Bear away for Christmas so they wake him up and fill his day and night with lots of fun!
 
Music / Movement:

"Kris Kringle's Jingle Bell Band" (Listen here)
 
The morning group of kids all picked an instrument and we paraded around the library.  I don't know if parents love getting up and walking around, but the kids, staff, and library customers sure do! 


 
 
"Reindeer Pokey"
 
I found a recorded version of this song that has all the little reindeer dancing their antlers, hooves, noses, tails, and reindeer bodies.  I'm sure I can find the album/artist I downloaded from - just ask if you want me to find it!
 
 
"The Dancing Christmas Tree" 
 
You have to watch this video.  Kids of all ages go nuts over it!  Kids dance with the Christmas Tree.
 
Flannels:
 "Santa's New Suit"

I really want to credit who shared this idea, but I'm just not sure anymore.  Sorry!
It may be a spin off of Laura Rader's Santa's New SuitRecipes for Reading created a flannel for this book.

Anyway...
 The story I told starts with Santa trying on his suit a couple days before Christmas Eve:
 
Oh no!  It is dirty with last year's chimney soot!:
 
Santa calls, "Ohh, Elllves!" (It's funny when the kids cup their hands around their mouths and call the elves with Santa).  "Please wash my suit."  So the elves wash it in really hot water and put it in the drier on really high heat.  Oh no!  It shrinks!:

"Ohh, Elllves!"  Santa asks for their help two more times, but they just can't find any red fabric:
 
What's this?  A gift from busy Mrs. Claus?:
 
 She made the perfect suit for Santa!"
 

"Rudolph, Rudolph":
 
I think everyone knows how this flannel goes:
 
Rudolph, Rudolph
What will you do
You can't guide Santa's sleigh
If your nose is blue
 
...etc...
 
Rudolph, Rudolph
The children are in bed
I know you are ready now
Because your nose is red


 
I knew I wouldn't have time to actually play this game in storytime, so we did one verse and then I sent the kids home with this so they could play with their adult at home:
 
"Santa's Hat"
 
Which hat is Santa's?


1 comment:

  1. Hi Tara,

    Could you please send me the link to the "Rudolph, Rudolph" take-home printable? I love the idea of sending this home for children to play with their parents! I already have the flannel from last year.

    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete